Monday 12 September 2011

One step closer to the big dance

That is one more step closer to competing at Ontario's Strongest man. That is my goal for next year, I''m shooing high.

So This weekend was the Law enforcement and fire games in Belleville, the strongman event. Leading up to the event I was feeling strong but also a bit nervous as I had let my strongman stuff take a backseat to powerlifting. I pack up, drive down, and get my shit in order.

It was a good day to have it. It was nice and warm, sunny, and no big winds. The venue was good, a nice big parking lot with a park behind it, unfortunately the crowd was small. I didn't care, I was there to prove that I am an up and comer, along with some others there.

First event was the truck pull, 20,000 pound fire truck using a harness and rope. For me, I was not concerned at all with this event. I am strong in my legs and have been doing heavy prowler pushes all year. My start was slow but once I got it moving I motored. I had one slip near the end as the rope was thin and I lost my rhythm in my pulling. Finished at 28.91 seconds which tied me for 8th. Now that doesn't sound so good until you realize that first was 24.19, so the separation in the times was close throughout. Points were not coming easy today. Overall, I felt good with it

Next was log press for max weight, last man standing rules. Every one did the weight and if you failed, you were done. We started at 200, pressed no problem, the next jump was to 240. My first thought, "fuck". I had been having log press problems all summer, I wanted a 220 next not 240. So when my turn came up I did what I always do in this situation, get fucking mad at the weight. the clean felt really good and the first attempt, too far out. Regrouped with the log on my chest, dipped and nailed the 240 log. I was damn pleased. heaviest log press to date, and a 40 pound PR from last summer. I tried 260, got it to my chest but no go on the press. Good for a tie for 5th.

Next event was the police cruiser push, which was a mini van 50 ft and then a suv 50 ft. Again, no worries here as I have been doing my prowler work. I set a good pace and felt that it was a good run but it was in 44.86 seconds, again good for 8th. Not too happy but eh. can't argue it, it was a good run.

Last event was the atlas stone to 56" for reps. I got to choose either a 255 pound stone or a 300 pound stone. I went for the 300 pounder, no guts no glory. In the end, I shit the bed on this event. I got a big goose egg of a 0. I got the stone up to the lip twice fairly easy, but my inexperience with stones showed, I was too far back when attempting to get it on the platform and it cost me here.

I finished 9th out of 12 and this is with a zero on the last event. I think that I did well, I have gained a lot of strength and just have to keep at it. I saw no real weakness over inexperience this time out. So I now have a winter to heal up and get stronger.

The one thing I took away from this day was always man the fuck up and give it your all. In no way are you going to get anywhere without putting it all out there and doing your best. I got a zero on an event, so what? I could have done the 255 stone and got points, but that wasn't what I trained for. I'm not going to go out and sell myself short of what I can do.  i'm pumped about how I feel I did, and am ready for this upcoming weekend's powerlifting competition. so get out there and fucking lift heavy shit. no one is gonna be impressed with your 135 for 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment