Monday 9 May 2011

My progress and how to choose a training program

Well this past week I haven't been updating much. I have kinda slacked off a bit. I'm coming up on a deload week and I damn well need it. The show over a week ago kicked my ass as I wasn't ready for heavier weights yet, but fuck excuses. I went into it knowing shit all and went balls out on it. First or last, I did as well as I could. No bitching from me.

I have been doing the Juggernaut system for 10 weeks now. I finished off the first two cycles and I have to say I am liking it a lot. for me, the higher rep work lately has put me in a place where I am not injuring myself.... too much. On top of that I am making bigger gains than usual. On my last sets this past training week (10 days) I hit 315 x 11 squats (high bar), 163 x 11 14" log press, 190 x 12 football bar bench, and 365 x 9 deadlifts. All were to be 8+ to recalculate my training max. What does all that mean? I am getting fucking stronger. On top of that, I am lighter than I was back in the winter. I cut down water and weight for my competition in February. I wasn't 100% because of it. I am faster, leaner, and much stronger now.

Now how does all this work. Well, it is your program that does this. Periodization is a fancy word for training in blocks of training. It starts off with building the muscle needed to correct any imbalances, then the next phase you correct major form issues and train your CNS to handle heavier weight. Lastly, you fix the small form and technique issues while minimizing fatigue to your CNS and muscles.

But Mike, what if that's not our goal? Well that is where choosing the right program to train by comes in. I am not going to list tons of programs, BUT I am going to tell you the questions you need to ask yourself.
1: what are your goals? wanna look good, be strong, or healthy... if the last one, I can't help much. Lastly, there is sport specific, in that case you need to find a trainer that specializes in your sport.
2: what are your weaknesses? do you know where your lifts suffer? what are your sticking points? if you are not sure, find someone who knows the lifts well and ask them to watch you. Gradually load yourself up until failure. They should be able to point it out.
3: are you dedicated to the results? if so, then you have choices. Online there are plenty of coaches that ask these questions in more detail and will design you a training program.
4: does your gym have what you need to succeed? I have trained any countless gyms all over Ontario, one thing I have noticed. I better equipped ones, and I mean ones with serious gear, seem to have the better athletes. Choosing your gym will come up another time.

Put some thought into these and then come to this last question. How does my body react to certain kinds of training? some people are better with intensity, some with volume. How you respond to certain types of training depends on you. some people do really well sticking mainly to the main lifts while others, they really need those accessories to improve their game. Put thought into it and write it all down. once you figure all this out. Quit being a cheap fuck and buy a book or an e-book that lays out a foundation of training philosophies similar to your thinking. You will do better and see results.

gimmicks don't work, stop being a gooch and keep it simple and soon enough you may be a mighty pair of balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment