Monday 2 May 2011

Olcott, NY gets a border jumper...

May 1

Olcott Highland games

Totally a fly by the seat of the pants competition choice.

Little sleep the night before, I hit IHOP for breakfast. Chow down a big ass meal and coffee and hit the road. Roll into Olcott and unpack. No clue on the weights of anything, I ask the log weight. Heavy log of 240... well fuck. No heavy log in some time and a heavy ass log, nice....

Because of the rain rolling in, we put the human tractor pull first. You are harnessed in and pulling similar to a truck pull, but unlike a truck pull there is no rolling. There was no give at all, it was all dead weight from start to finish. This thing was a mess of a metal torture device. The weight increases as you pull, making that last few feet hell. Finished up in 39 seconds and change. Not bad as the last ten feet killed, not my best event.

Next Braemar stone... shot put with a stone. hit 21.5' not bad for a first time trying it. Some of the highland games guys gave me tips on how to do it. A big thanks to those who did.

Next up farmer's walk. The rain had started, making a hard event even harder.the weights were 225 per hand after watching the middle weights struggle at 205. These were 2" handles and they were mounted onto logs... not easy to carry at all. It was max distance in 60 seconds. I got 59' and that got me second.


Next was heavy weight for distance. After fouling twice, I hit 13.6' with a granny style throw. that 56lb weight felt like it was gonna tear my arm off. I want to get a heavy weight now to practice throwing. As hard as it was, it was fun.

Next was the press medley... I didn't like this going so late in the order. I was burned out by now. I had no shoulders left in me. Moved the heavy log to 225 as, again, middle weights had problems with the heavy log. so 225 log, 240 axle, 125 DB, and 185 log. I tried the DB and heavy log... no go. Too burned out, skipped the axle and only hit 2 reps on the 185 log. Balls, but I wasn't the only burned out one, tied for third... out of four.

Last was the Sheaf throw... I hit 14' and missed 16'. Probably took last. I left before the end of it, so I don't know my placing. The event was wild. A pitch fork stuck into a burlap bag weighing 16 pounds and using the fork to fling the bag over a 14' bar. Again, I sucked at it but was tons of fun.

Overall, I think for no prep. I did as well as I could. Felt good to get out and compete. the work in the off season showed as I felt a good amount of power and competing against a top amateur in the NAS, it was a fun show. Thanks to Mike Landrich for the show, fun events and well run.

No comments:

Post a Comment